3 Safe Way: How to Clean Hands after Touching Mold

Mold is harmful. Don’t let it stay on your hands or your health is in danger. Read my tips on how to clean hands after touching mold.

Mold is a type of fungus that is usually found in damp areas. It produces small particles that move from one place to another through the air.

This tiny particle is bad for several people!

Mold could live in a moist environment. It can be found almost anywhere, including your home. including the bathroom, kitchen, basement, or near the sink.

When you do the cleaning process, your hands may have contact with the mold and you should do something about it.

It could cause a negative effect on your body if you inhale it.

Don’t worry!

Let me show you how to clean hands after touching mold easily.

You can do this with your home ingredients!

Why should you clean your hands after touching the mold?

1. Mold can be toxic


Molds reproduce by spreading spores into the air. These microscopic spores float for long distances in the air.

These spores might irritate your lungs if you breathe them in. Watery eyes, nasal congestion, sneezing, and a runny nose are among the symptoms.

In certain people, inhaling excessive levels of spores has been related to severe lung disorders such as bronchitis or pneumonia.

2. It could trigger the allergy

Mold can cause allergic reactions, inflammation, and respiratory infections in certain people. If you touch mold and have been having any of these symptoms, see a doctor right away.

How to clean hands after touching mold

1. Wash them with hand soap

Using hand soap to clean your hands after touching the mold is the best solution.

It contains an anti-bacterial formula and kills any dirt and germs on your hands.

It works well to remove any mold spores that may have gotten onto your hands.

Hand soap is also suitable for use on various skin types so it does not trigger allergies.

First, wet your hands under running water. Then, take a bit of hand soap on your palm and wash your hands thoroughly.


Clean all between your fingers and the back of each hand, especially the part that touches the moss.

Don’t forget to scrub underneath the nails because moss can get into this gap.

You can use a toothpick to remove any mold spores under the nails if you can’t reach them.

Keep scrubbing your hands for at least 20 seconds.


After that, rinse your hands under running water. Then, dry your hand with a clean and dry microfiber cloth.

2. Clean your hands with alcohol-based hand sanitizer

Alcohol-based hand sanitizer is an effective solution to remove any germs on your hands.

It is best to use hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.

To use it, just spray it on your hands and scrub it to the whole finger. Do not forget to clean the back and under the nails.

Make sure the solution reaches all the sides of your hands.

Then, leave it until dry!

3. Use liquid soap

The last thing you can do to sanitize your hands if you find no hand soap or hand sanitizer is just wash your hands with liquid soap.

Soap is designed to clean and remove the germ. You can use it also to get rid of the mold on your hands.

My favorite one is using Castile liquid soap.

Wet your hands under running water and put a little bit of liquid soap on your palm.

Scrub your hands with it until the foam reaches the whole hands. Clean between your finger, the back of your hands, and under the nails.

You can also use Castile liquid soap to remove gas smell on hands!

What you should do after contacting the mold

1. Take off your clothes

After touching and having contact with mold, take off your clothes immediately.

Moss can spread spores from one place to another. There is a high chance that your clothes have been contaminated.

Do not take any risks and wash your clothes after touching the mold!

2. Avoid touching your face or nose

Mold spores are very tiny and float in the air.

They can enter your body through a cut or abrasion on your skin and can also be inhaled into your lungs.

When you have direct contact with mold, you risk coming into direct contact with mold spores.

Never touch your face or nose after having contact with mold. Your hands are dirty enough and it could trigger any harmful effect on your body if you inhale them accidentally.


What if I touched the black mold?

Black mold is as dangerous as green mold. It has spores and dangerous particles if you inhale it. Avoid touching it and wash your hands if you do.

Can mold spread from hands?

Mold can spread from your hands if you touch it before. Your hands are a medium that can transfer various germs and dirt easily. If you touch other hands, the mold will spread.


Mold is an organism that grows in damp, warm places. It can be a problem in your home if there is moisture or water leaks that cause mold to grow on surfaces like walls and floors.

Allow me to summarize how to clean hands after touching mold

  1. Wash it with hand soap
  2. Clean your hands with alcohol-based hand sanitizer
  3. Use liquid soap

If you find problem in cleaning, you can read my tips on how to clean yellow stains on shoes and cleaning toothbrush with baking soda!

Do not hesitate to leave a comment!